Wednesday, July 1, 2009

ChooChoo!!

What a great day for a scenic train ride! The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad has been operating continuously for over 125 years, and for good reason. The trip from Durango to Silverton follows a river as it wanders its' way along. Sometimes through a very narrow gorge and sometimes along broad expanses. It's a very nice ride all the way and getting pulled along by an antique steam engine just really tops off the whole experience. Some parts of the track feel like they haven't had much maintenance over the last 100 years or so, but I think that it helped make the trip just that much more authentic.

Once again I had fun taking bunches of pictures, although maybe not quite as much fun as in other places. The car we rode in had seats that faced the sides of the train, but the seats were so low that you had to stand up to see many of the good scenes. When I stood up, the roof of the car was low enough that I had to duck to see out. The end result was that I spent much of the trip in an awkward crouching position. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the trip. Mom and the girls also enjoyed it. WhooWhoooooo!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment